BI does not detect motion with Reolink RLC-410 5MP cams

General discussion about Blue Iris
BernieHD

BI does not detect motion with Reolink RLC-410 5MP cams

Post by BernieHD »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so if I did anything not as expected, please let me know so that I can learn.

I'm based in Germany some kilometers south of city of Heidelberg.

I've installed 5 x Reoling RLC-410 5MP POE cams around my house and the basic idea is to use the cameras together with the right software to
  • detect people moving onto my property
  • start recording in such a case
  • send an email to an specified emailadress
I first found the forum ipcam... and was thrown out by the crazy moderator "Fenderman" who seems to be a racist too but now I'm optimistic that I find help here. I understand that my selection of the cameras was probably not ideal. Anyhow there seem to be at least a few user of Reolink cameras satisfied with them togetehr with BI.

Just a few minutes before I recorded a video from the cam watchinig my front door with me walking slowly through the area and BI didn't notice any movement or at least didn't start any recording.

Happy to share my settings as well as the recorded video, just let me know what you require.

Btw I'm currently running the demo version of BI but if I get the impression that it'll work fine I will of course purchase the full version.

Best regards

Bernhard
BernieHD

Re: BI does not detect motion with Reolink RLC-410 5MP cams

Post by BernieHD »

Hi All,
Did I potentially post this in the wrong forum? Should have I posted it rather in the Blue Iris 5 subforum?

If so, can anyone move the topic please to the right subforum? Or should I post it again there and ask the admins to delete this one?

Best regards

Bernhard
roadkill401

Post by roadkill401 »

I don't have a solution as I have just started looking into getting a camera setup inside my house. I just ordered a pair of Reolink cameras off amazon. I would be interested in finding out how this would work too. I don't get my equipment until the end of the week as Covid19 lockdowns make everything slow.

Mainly subscribing to see what the answer is.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi BernieHD,

This is the official Blue Iris forum and it's quite a happy relaxed attitude here. Blunderman is well known for his outbursts, and that site is not recommended for normal people.

As far as I am concerned, if you can see the feed from the camera, then you are almost there. Have you see Sam's Reolink Gotcha thread ? That should get you going: https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/view ... f=7&t=2072

Let us know if that get's you going. BI5 is well worth the money :D
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
roadkill401

Post by roadkill401 »

I don't have the said RLC-410 camera. I did however try the Wifi E1 Zoom and E1 camera.

The E1 Zoom I did get to work but the E1 looks to have a similar type of issue. the camera will sometime detect motion but at other times it seems to be oblivious. I had the E1 pointing out to the front path of my house with a lawn and garden on either side. I had setup expulsions for the roadway and sidewalk that was just at the top edge of the screen view. The camera would trigger on things like flowers waving in the wind, or a shadow of a cloud passing by. But I went and cut the front lawn and it didn't bother to record any part of me walking back and forth with the lawn mower. I did do some additional tests like walk along the sidewalk and up the pathway to the front door. I picked up some big planter pots and moved them, and then left. It seemed to trigger only half way through the test so I had video of me putting down the planters after moving them and walking off but non of me walking up.

I concluded that there was a defect with the unit. I contacted ReoLink and they seemed to agree with me. Have you tested the ReoLink software? Do you have a micro SD card inside the unit? just wondering if this is more a hardware issue than that of BlueIris
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

I seem to mention it on the forums all of the time, and sometimes it's the solution, but with Reolink cameras UNCHECK Limit Decoding Unless Required on the Video tab for the camera settings. It causes BI to only analyze Key Frames and I think the primary complaint of Reolink is you can't set the key frame interval and it's slow. 0.5s. So it goes from 15fps being analyzed to 2s per analyzed frame. Near impossible to do motion detection on that.