ipcamtalk

General discussion about Blue Iris
stratblast

ipcamtalk

Post by stratblast »

I was just asking a question about clip storage and archiving and fenderman jumped in and said I needed to get over my OCD and configure it right. He offered nothing toward an answer or solution. I posted Ken's notice about the rude behavior and Blue Iris isn't affiliated with them. Fenderman banned me after that. not surprised. He definitely has issues. On top of that he insulted me again. Here's his message to me.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (106.67 KiB) Viewed 1189004 times
HeneryH

Re: ipcamtalk

Post by HeneryH »

LoL

You are human # 467,643 to be banned.
stratblast

Post by stratblast »

Too funny. That's what I'm seeing. Good riddance.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

The follow is my take on that forum and that guy...

On Fenderman...
He belongs on the island of broken toys. He's got a tick. He's unreasonable. He knows a fck ton about video surveillance and BI. If you engage with him at all, heed this advice: "Don't poke the bear". He's unreasonable and demands deference. If he scolds you for a post, apologize and ask his advice for a better way to approach whatever you posted about. Don't poke the bear. If you say "fck that, I don't need that sh*t", that's your choice. But remember this: You can't change people, you can only change how you respond to them". You can't make him a better human being.

The board is his house, his rules, he gets to say - and participation is voluntary. Check out this little gem I got recently...
IPCT Alert Notification.JPG
IPCT Alert Notification.JPG (22.16 KiB) Viewed 1188979 times
A guy asked a question in French (we've seen him around here), and I pointed to this site. It is absolutely INSANE to restrict how a member can help another. Additionally, anyone who does not speak English well, would never be able to search the forum with success - it's hard enough for those who speak the language. I could have pointed that out to him... appeal to him to change his mind. I did not choose that strategy. Know why? His house, his rules, he gets to say, and... don't poke the bear. Once Alpha is convinced you recognize him as Alpha, confrontation always dissipates.

From my perspective, once you know who you're dealing with, everything that happens is on you. I don't go there to make friends, I need information from credible sources with experience. My approach is to find out what he wants, and give it to him - specifically, respect. I don't have to mean it - and I don't. You can get everything out of life you want, if you help enough other people get what they want.

In essence, I'm avoiding conflict because I don't give a shit about the fight. Go into the store, buy your liquor, get out.

On IP Cam Talk..
I've poked my head into various corners there... here's my assessment. It's not different from a biker bar. If I'm out and about partying with a buddy, and we walk into a biker bar, my spidey senses tell me to be on best behavior. Respect for the place, and deference to veteran. Show up and insult someone... the owner... that won't end well. And so it goes for that forum. Remember American Werewolf in London? The Slaughtered Lamb pub scene. Don't be those guys, right?

They're a bunch of folks with politics in common who think differently than me. No reason for me to poke the bear. Be mindful of where I am, and act accordingly. Here's why I do that... There is a lot of experience there - it's a treasure trove of information that is difficult to find elsewhere. It's the Mines of Moria where the Mithril lives. That's how I approach it. Here's a fun Snapple fact:
IPCT Stats
  • Members: 122,717
BI Support Forum
  • Total posts 8,300
  • Total members 3,897
So... better traffic, better response times, better resources... Also, since Ken bitch slapped fenderman some time ago, things have gotten better - there's a cat there named "wittaj" who knows his sh*t - and is incredibly helpful. There are others too, but he's super helpful and you can rely on what he tells you. I want to be able to visit there, so I'm careful of what I say and how I respond.

I created a second profile with a different email address. So now I have two persona's. Fenderman likes the second one to the point of praise. So if he bans you, create a new profile and start again.

Best practices...
Be aware of the community expectations for new members, i.e., be aware of your surroundings
Do some research: search the posts of the most active folks - look for friendlies
Don't tell them how they should treat members - his house, his rules, he gets to say. By participating... defacto acceptance of those terms
Above all else... Don't Poke The Bear

Disclaimer: I'm not sayin' how it is... I'm sayin' that's how I see it.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I was wondering what happened to that thread

Have you tried doing a DB repair yet?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I asked someone here to go over there and grab me a camera firmware update file. That person got banned for helping me get a download file.

Total tool, and he is only concerned with keeping his traffic up and being the only game in town.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I got banned from ipscamstalks for that, but I can't remember if I was assisting you at the time. He obviously reads THIS forum, as that was the only way he would have known.

I had enough of walking on egg shells in my previous marriage, and I won't put up with toxic crap like that any more. If anybody starts that attitude here, report them immediately. Life is too short to have to "emotionally support" people like that. Grrr... :evil:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Fundamentally, I agree with both, HenryH and TimG. It's just that my strategy is rather than boycott him, I'll mine his resources.
liar_revenge.jpg
liar_revenge.jpg (31.15 KiB) Viewed 1188958 times
And I believe HenryH is spot on with the observation of his attempt at cornering the market. I figger... fck him - I'll get what I want and he'll thank me for it. Frankly, for me, I don't engage with him so he doesn't bother me.

Don't get me wrong fellas, what I posted above was a recent personal revelation born out of the frustration in trying to understand BI. I would have written that site off, and did for a couple of years because there's an a$$hole factor of 9.7 over there. But since this forum is in sore need of administrative attention, it's of limited value as a resource. So I decided to avoid the goblins and get what I want. I'm just pontificating on my personal rationale, and suggesting one possible way to approach it.

I summary, I have found that creating a new profile there avoids all the crap.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Just don't make the same mistake I did - using the same name. As I said, he reads posts here :lol:

Other members here keep second post ban accounts there for "other" reasons...
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

YrbkMgr wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:12 am I created a second profile with a different email address. So now I have two persona's. Fenderman likes the second one to the point of praise. So if he bans you, create a new profile and start again.
That's what I did also.

However, the site also logs the public IP address. FM banned that ID also, and threatened legal action against me due to attempting to 'Hack' into his system. He also sent me private emails, swearing at me, and, threatening to run me financially.

If you make a second email, do one of 2 things...
- Use a VPM whenever you log into the web site.
- Change your public ip address.