Creating video

Symptoms to Resolution

It's easy to state symptoms:
My BI server started crashing.
My recordings are missing.
No alerts are being sent.

Much harder to know how to investigate and self-correct or provide the needed information for support to help.

The articles here are frameworks on how to think about the issue and get to resolution.
varghesesa

Creating video

Post by varghesesa »

Introduction

Short helper article to explain how to create videos to better explain issues in a ticket.

Video

I strongly recommend creating a short desktop video with a narrative of the issue. I use Zoom to record the desktop. There are many choices provided by Windows. VLC is also an option.

FYI. You can point the phone camera at the desktop and create a video pertaining to a console or UI3 issue as well.

Some users provide a video without a narrative of what's going on which is more challenging because I have to keep going back and forth between the email and the video to understand. Alternatively, provide notes as to what you are demonstrating in the video. For example:
At 1:05, I doubled the playback speed to 2x.
At 1:49, the scrubber will not stick to the position where I wanted playback to begin.
etc.

Mobile device
If the issue lies with the Mobile device, phones have made it very easy to create a video with screen share.
If the video (mp4) is too large to send via email, use a file share service. Many use Google drive but there are lots of choices. DropBox, Box, iCloud etc.