This article explains the different update tracks provided within Blue Iris. For one reason or another, users occasionally wish they could roll back a software update. Blue Iris makes this easy. This article also explains how to do so.
If you prefer to watch the webinar associated with this article, checkout our YouTube channel. Webinar name: Performance and Troubleshooting.
Software support and maintenance (updates)
Blue Iris provides multiple tracks for updating software. Global settings -> About tab -> Software Support and Maintenance.
- No update prompts. No pop-up dialog when a new update is available.
- No automatic updates. Pop-up dialog notifies user when an update is available. User chooses next steps. I choose this option because I like to know when updates are available, but decide whether to do the update. I like being in front of the machine when updates occur so I can confirm functionality after the update.
- Critical and highly stable updates only. BI automatically downloads / installs critical and highly stable updates. If you are the type of user that wants a stable platform that has a high degree of running, choose this option.
- All available major and minor updates. BI automatically downloads / installs all updates. If you are the type of user that wants the latest / greatest and doesn't mind instability and likes working with support to resolve issues, choose this option.
Going back to a previous version
To go back to a previous version of the software, select No automatic updates as seen below. If not selected first, after rolling back the software version, Blue Iris would again auto-update the software for example if the original selection were All available major and minor updates.
Select Check for News and Updates button.
Select software version of interest
- Remain with current version
- Install latest critical or highly-stable update
- Install latest update available
- Another available previous update: Go back to an earlier version. Can only select the last stable version, e.g. 220.127.116.11. Cannot choose 18.104.22.168.
- Download only: Update will be located in Updates sub-directory in Blue Iris 5 Program directory.
- Retain a copy of the update package: Similar to download only. However, this choice also installs the selected update.
- Make a backup of the current executable: Saves current executable with version number in filename allowing the ability to quickly go back to original version if desired. (see image below)
- If you want to roll back to a previous version with certainty, choose the appropriate version. Hit OK and BI will install that version.
- If you are in a more exploratory mindset, choose the appropriate version you wish to explore. Select Make a backup of the current executable. If selected version does not work out, can easily switch back to your current version.
- I now select Make a backup of the current executable. If an update is not working for me, I want to easily go back to the last working version, which may be different from the last critical or highly-stable update.