This article explains the different update tracks provided within Blue Iris. For one reason or another, users occasionally wish they could roll back a software update. Blue Iris makes this easy.
Based on proper version control settings you can prevent disruptions from updates.
- If the new version is not working for you, jump back quickly to the previous version to get up and running.
- (optional) When you have time to test further, install latest version again. Many users just wait for another update.
- Use Software Startup article to get the latest release running again by leveraging the registry.
- If needed, you now know how to go back to the last stable version if latest release is still problematic.
Tips and Tricks (10-min Tutorials)
Software support and maintenance (updates)
Blue Iris provides multiple tracks for updating software. Global settings -> About tab -> Software Support and Maintenance.
- No update prompts. No pop-up dialog when a new update is available.
- No automatic updates. Pop-up dialog notifies user when an update is available. User chooses next steps. I choose this option because I like to know when updates are available, but decide whether to do the update. I like being in front of the machine when updates occur so I can confirm functionality after the update.
- Critical and highly stable updates only. BI automatically downloads / installs critical and highly stable updates. If you are the type of user that wants a stable platform that has a high degree of running, choose this option.
- All available major and minor updates. BI automatically downloads / installs all updates. If you are the type of user that wants the latest / greatest and doesn't mind instability and likes working with support to resolve issues, choose this option.
Going back to a previous version
To go back to a previous version of the software, select No automatic updates as seen below. If not selected first, after rolling back the software version, Blue Iris would again auto-update the software for example if the original selection were All available major and minor updates.
Select Check for News and Updates button.
Select software version of interest
- Remain with current version
- Install latest critical or highly-stable update
- Install latest update available
- Another available previous update: Go back to an earlier version. Can only select the last stable version, e.g. 188.8.131.52. Cannot choose 184.108.40.206.
- Download only: Update will be located in Updates sub-directory in Blue Iris 5 Program directory.
- Retain a copy of the update package: Similar to download only. However, this choice also installs the selected update.
- Make a backup of the current executable: Saves current executable with version number in filename allowing the ability to quickly go back to original version if desired. (see image below)
- If you want to roll back to a previous version with certainty, choose the appropriate version. Hit OK and BI will install that version.
- If you are in a more exploratory mindset, choose the appropriate version you wish to explore. Select Make a backup of the current executable. If selected version does not work out, can easily switch back to your current version.
- I now select Retain a copy of the update package. If an update is not working for me, I like to quickly pop back to the previous version, which may be different from the last critical or highly-stable update. Tips and Tricks video above has details.