Hardware Recommendations

Details on the five major steps to configure and deploy Blue Iris.
1. Connecting IP cameras.
2. Configuring your home or office network for Remote Access via a web browser or the phone apps.
3. Setting up Storage and Recordings.
4. Creating Triggers and Alerts.
5. Creating Schedules and Profiles
varghesesa

Hardware Recommendations

Post by varghesesa » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:17 pm

Introduction

Many users often ask for recommendations regarding hardware for cameras and servers. Blue Iris is directionally vendor agnostic, i.e. we run on standard Windows servers and support camera standards, i.e. RTSP and ONVIF. That being said here are some directional guidelines.

Cameras

Some vendors that are popular and tend to get good feedback with our customers (not an endorsement). We chose these vendors because they address the different price points (low, medium, high) we see in the market.
  • Amcrest
  • Axis
  • Hikvision
So long as the cameras support the RTSP and ONVIF standards, they should connect. I would say ONVIF enabled devices make connectivity the easiest.
The Make/Model list in the IP Config dialog provides an exhaustive list of the 1000s of manufacturers that are supported.

generic rtsp.png
generic rtsp.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 226 times

Server Recommendations

I see resellers buying refurbished laptops on ebay for $300 with an i7+ and 1 TB of SSD. i7+ processor is important just to have QuickSync with H.264 & H.265 support. In terms of specific requirements, my 2 cents below. There are many experts on the forum as well.
  • Windows 10 Pro is preferred. Windows Server is also used by many users.
  • Processors with QuickSync like the i7+/i9 or the Xeon versions with QuickSync. BI can take advantage of QuickSync for decoding H.264/H.265 streams from cameras.
    Positive customer feedback from AMD processors that leverage our DirectX integration as well.
  • 8 GB of RAM ok. 16 GB would be better.
  • Fast, local SSD is good for the New folder and the Database folder. The SSD storage requirement therefore does not need to be large. It really depends on your requirements.
    Many users move from SSD to long-term slower storage over time. NAS drives and additional internal HDD drives are equally popular.
  • NVidia/GPU not a big boost for BI. We only use hardware acceleration (HA) for encoding/decoding. Intel QuickSync or an AMD equivalent is way more value.
  • NVidia cards are a huge advantage for DeepStack/AI. I process images at 50 ms on my GTX 1070 Ti.
Below are some really good analysis articles that you should probably read. (external content) The BI Updater stats shares some real-life deployed server stats.
https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats

The "Case study: Large Enterprise Deployments" webinar is an interview with a reseller sharing how he deployed BI on a 64+ cameras site.

Storage

There is a rough calculator in the Help file as well. Search for "How much storage space do I need?" in Help.
I would just run the server and look at the size of the recordings. You can then extrapolate storage needs based on your storage usage.

As far as vendor recommendations for SSD/HDD/NAS, these questions are best asked to the community. blueirissoftware.com/forum.

Support

Blue Iris currently only provides two tiers of support: Support and Priority support. No phone service. Support is included with the purchase of a license for one year.

Priority support, first and foremost is to get you to front of the email queue each day and you may also receive multiple replies in a single day. We do have the option to use Teamviewer (remote support) if there's something that you are stuck on or otherwise want to "show engineering." There is no "call in" phone number, but if required we can be on the phone at the same time as Teamviewer.

On Premise Solution

Completely on-prem is a guiding design principle for Blue Iris.
The only time BI uses the internet is for updates and periodically recording the IP address (For remote access. See Help for details). Both connections are to blueirissoftware.com.
To turn off updates, Global settings -> About tab -> Software support and maintenance. Select No Update Prompt.
To turn off the latter, go to Global settings -> About tab -> Register IP address to assist with client app connections. Uncheck.

To find the current IP address of blueirissoftware.com, simply use the ping command.

ping blueirissoftware.png
ping blueirissoftware.png (34.82 KiB) Viewed 25 times