One camera is seriously time lagged

General discussion about Blue Iris
scottlindner

One camera is seriously time lagged

Post by scottlindner »

I have seven cameras on my BI system. I have been running it for many many years since BI 3. I just installed a new camera and when it is recording in BI it is seriously lagged in time compared to the other cameras by about two minutes but when I log into the cameras directly they are all current. What would cause one camera to be so far behind?
IAmATeaf

Re: One camera is seriously time lagged

Post by IAmATeaf »

Is the cam set to use h264? If not then maybe try setting it that. When I set my cams to h265 for example I get strange oddities with my system but some people report no issues whatsoever ever.
scottlindner

Post by scottlindner »

It was set to H.265 and the others H.264. I just changed it and immediately it is correct, but that could simply be due to a reset of the steam. Thank you for this suggestion. I'll post back after a couple of days to see if that solved it. I should know within a day or two.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Check if it was H265 with a + or any other enhancement, as those tend to be for the manufacturers benefit, and move away from the H265 standard and hence don't work well with BI5. The other thing is Keyframes. If you look in BI5/ Status/ Cameras, what does "FPS/Key" look like for this camera ? "Key" needs to be 1 if you can get it.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
scottlindner

Post by scottlindner »

Are you talking baout I-Frame Interval?

It was set to H.265 but not H.265+. Now I have it set at H.264 but not H.264+. I'm hoping this is enough to fix it, but I'm glad you guys are giving me some hope in getting this dialed in!

If it means anything. I think it is a knock off brand for HikVision or whoever makes those. The firmware just "feels" and looks like HikVision firmware. This is the fiftch brand of camera that has that same look and feel.
StealthJourney

Post by StealthJourney »

scottlindner wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:39 pm I have seven cameras on my BI system. I have been running it for many many years since BI 3. I just installed a new camera and when it is recording in BI it is seriously lagged in time compared to the other cameras by about two minutes but when I log into the cameras directly they are all current. What would cause one camera to be so far behind?
Hey Scott,

I've faced a similar issue with my setup before. In my case, it was due to a bottleneck in the network. A couple of things to consider:
  • Network Traffic: If the new camera has a higher resolution or frame rate than the others, it might be using more bandwidth. Check if your network is getting congested, especially if you're running all cameras over Wi-Fi.
  • Camera Settings: Different cameras can have different stream settings, like H.264 vs H.265 compression. Maybe the new camera's settings are not fully optimized for BI?
  • BI Settings: Since you mentioned you've been using BI since version 3, double-check if there are any specific settings or optimizations for the newer camera models.
  • Firmware Update: It might be worth checking if there's a firmware update available for that specific camera. Sometimes these updates can address lag issues or compatibility with certain software.
Hope some of this helps! Let me know how it goes, and if anyone else has faced and resolved this issue, I'm all ears.
🚀 Join the Future of Connectivity! 🌐 Explore Our Community Broadband Project 🌍 Experience Lightning-Fast Internet for All 🚀 Get Involved Today! 📡 #ConnectivityRevolution
scottlindner

Post by scottlindner »

StealthJourney wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:25 pm [*]Camera Settings: Different cameras can have different stream settings, like H.264 vs H.265 compression. Maybe the new camera's settings are not fully optimized for BI?
It was H.265 that was the culprit. Switching to H.264 solved it for me. As for the other questions, this particular camera is wired PoE. I try to do everything wired as possible because I find WiFi to be too unreliable and I even have three APs in various parts of the home to improve my WiFi and it still isn't really all that reliable compared to Ethernet.

I appreciate all of the help. It was very prompt and spot on. Thank you everyone!