Weird LAN IP issue

Thixotropic

Re: Weird LAN IP issue

Post by Thixotropic »

LOOPYLOOP wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:49 pm assuming i can post links here this should help
https://portforward.com/networking/stat ... ows-10.htm
Yikes. This looks easy enough so that even I could screw it up. :)

(My Default Gateway is the same IP address as the DNS Servers entry so it looks like there'll be a few extra steps in there.)

Okay, I'll have a go at this and see what happens. If you don't see me for a day or two you'll know things didn't go as planned. :)

And in case I do drop off the air for a while, as I mentioned in a previous post I'm wondering if there's any real advantage to running BI as a service. What's the benefit of that other than automatic restarting? It seems like I could accomplish basically the same thing by starting BI as a scheduled startup service, correct?
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
chuckt

Post by chuckt »

Running BI as a service means you don’t have the full GUI running. If you don’t use the PC for any thing else and/or don’t care if it’s “all” running then just auto running it at startup won’t be an issue.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

chuckt wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:20 am Running BI as a service means you don’t have the full GUI running. If you don’t use the PC for any thing else and/or don’t care if it’s “all” running then just auto running it at startup won’t be an issue.
Thank you. Based on that, I think I'm overthinking this and complicating my setup unnecessarily.

I think I'll just write a simple startup script that starts BI, waits 30 seconds, and then starts ngrok. That's really all I really need to do. I was under the impression that running as a service conferred some benefit beyond auto-starting but I guess that's not the case.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Serodgers

Post by Serodgers »

I had a similar problem. Problem is that windows was slow and did not have the ethernet drivers loaded and therefore no LAN connection. BI would load up binded to local 127.0.0.0. Sometimes it would have default to a 169 local assigned IP.

Ended up starting up BI with a delay after boot to ensure the LAN connection is present first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Ahhhh, thank you, Serodgers! I'd bet that's what's going on with my system. It had some oddball 169.x.x.x IP address that it was using.

I'm going change things so everything will be started with a batch file to load BI after a short pause, then the ngrok utility.

Thanks again for the info!

Serodgers wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:17 am I had a similar problem. Problem is that windows was slow and did not have the ethernet drivers loaded and therefore no LAN connection. BI would load up binded to local 127.0.0.0. Sometimes it would have default to a 169 local assigned IP.

Ended up starting up BI with a delay after boot to ensure the LAN connection is present first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk